Rhythmosine® (Adenosine 6mg)
Adenosine is an antiarrhythmic drug which acts by slowing conduction through the AV node. This action can interrupt re-entry circuits involving the AV node & restore normal sinus rhythm in patients with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. Adenosine also causes coronary vasodilation & increases blood flow in normal coronary arteries with little to no increase in stenotic coronary arteries.
- Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) or Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome
- Diagnosis of broad or narrow complex supraventricular tachycardias
Rhythmosine® Dosage & Administration:
3mg as a rapid IV bolus (over 2s)
If the first dose does not result in elimination of the SVT within 1 to 2 min, 6mg should be given also as a rapid IV bolus
If the second dose does not result in elimination of the SVT within 1 to 2 min, 12mg should be given also as a rapid IV bolus
first bolus of 0.1 mg/kg body weight (max dose of 6mg)
If conversional of SVT does not occur within 1-2 minutes, additional bolus injection of adenosine can be administered at incrementally higher doses, increasing the amount given by 0.05 to 0.1 mg/kg. This process should continue until sinus rhythm is established or maximum single dose of 0.3 mg/kg is used.
Rhythmosine® Warning & Precaution:
- Certain type of unusual heart rhythm (atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter)
- Long QT syndrome (prolonged QT interval)
- Low blood volume (hypovolemia)
- Narrowing of the main arteries in the neck (carotid artery)
- Difficulty in breathing (bronchospasm)
- Narrowing of your heart valves (stenotic valvular heart disease)
- Inflammation of the membrane surrounding your heart (pericarditis) or a buildup of fluid around your heart (pericardial effusion)
- Having a left-right shunt in heart
- A recent heart attack, severe heart failure or heart transplant in the last year
- Any minor problem with your heart (first degree AtrioVentricular block or bundle branch block).
These conditions maybe temporarily aggravated when you are given Adenosine solution for injection.